I have a 2002 Dodge Durango that keeps stalling while run...

Q: I have a 2002 Dodge Durango that keeps stalling while running. The car gives no warning sign and dies with no apparent patter

asked by on July 26, 2017

I have a 2002 Dodge Durango that keeps stalling while running with no apparent pattern. The engine light does not come on and there are no codes. The car started acting up about 2 months ago and stalled while moving. The car accelerates on its own and revs between 2000-3000 rpm. We changed the idle air control, the throttle position sensor and the fuel pump relay. They all help for a few days but then the car stalls again. When it stalls it takes a few tries for it to stay on. When it finally stays on it revs the entire time. The last time it stalled on me on the 3 attempt to turn it on it started but the fuel gauge showed empty and the fuel pump light ignited. The car had half a tank and I drove it about 7 miles until I got home while it revved the whole time & to prevent it from stalling at stops I kept putting it in neutral. I believe I need a PCM but I replaced it 9 years ago. What could be causing this? Any information helps.

Hi there. Generally speaking, when a car will start but stalls randomly it will be due to either an electrical short in the ignition system or a fuel restriction problem, misfiring fuel injectors or other faulty components. Since there are multiple possible sources of this problem, and due to the fact there is no set pattern, the best solution is to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an inspection to attempt and isolate the source of this problem and recommend the right repairs.