Q: What can cause the drive belt to stop moving for a second or two, then come back on and repeat?

Ok so everything started when my car started squealing. First my engine started getting hotter than normal making the fluid in my water container boil out of the overflow so I have to fill it up everyday to keep it from overheating. I figured that could be the thermostat but then my power steering would randomly go out for a few seconds and the squealing would get loud. I was looking under the hood today and noticed that the belt stops turning every now and again and then starts again. At first I thought I should replace my thermostat and power steering pump. Then I read online about the drive belt and it seems it could be the cause of everything failing but the belt looks brand new. So I'm thinking maybe I need to replace my belt tensioner? Also my car decided not want to stay on yesterday and was wondering if that could have caused it as well or if it's probably a spark plug or coil pack? Sorry for the long question.

You should look at the lower crankshaft pulley to see if it is not spinning when the belt stops. If that is the case, then the crankshaft damper rubber is not gripping the hub and needs replaced. If the pulley continues to turn when the belt stops, then check belt tensioner to see if it is tension on the belt properly is tight. If it is loose then replace the tensioner and check all the accessories to make sure they move freely. If you need help replacing the tensioner, YourMechanic offers a repair and diagnosis service preformed by a mobile, professional mechanic that will commute to your location for this repair.

3. What can cause the drive belt to stop moving for a second or two, then come back on and repeat?