Q: low engine pressure/chk engine light

asked by on February 27, 2017

I was driving when the message low engine pressure came on along with the check engine light also with another message of stability traction control came on. My car wouldn't really go it had no power. I put the gas all the way down and it would barely go maybe 20 miles. I coasted to the side of the freeway. My car will still start but I'm scared to drive it and plus it won't go very fast. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. There are two separate "low pressure" warning lights on the vehicle, the low oil pressure warning and the low tire pressure warning. It is safe to assume for now that you are speaking of the low oil pressure light. The power loss is likely because the vehicle has detected an issue with the oil system and is trying to preserve the engine by putting it into a "limp mode", which limits engine function so you can make it home but not do any further damage. Before moving the vehicle so we can have the codes from the check engine light scanned, you will want to make sure you have oil in the engine. If it is low, add some before attempting to relocate the car. Once you have scanned the vehicle for codes, use them to help you with the diagnostic process. You are likely looking at a failed oil pressure sensor, a bad oil pump, or possibly an oil leak. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.