Q: If my car needs a new crankshaft position sensor, will it still run?

My #1 cylinder is misfiring. The computer says crankshaft position sensor. Would my car run if that needs replaced? Cause my car starts without any problem, but it sputtered and smells like rotten eggs.

Hello. The crankshaft position sensor will not usually cause a misfire, but in rare cases it can. Since there is a misfire on the number one cylinder, the source of that issue needs to be confirmed before you do anything else. It may be caused by a spark plug or ignition coil or even an internal engine problem. I would start by checking the plug and coil to see if they are bad, and if those are fine, then I would do a compression test. Typically, one of these areas will be the source of the problem. These would also cause the smell that you’re describing, as a misfire will overheat the catalytic converter. As for whether your car will still run with a misfiring cylinder, it certainly can, but to drive in this condition is risky. Consider contacting a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to properly diagnose and repair your misfiring cylinder.

• If my car needs a new crankshaft position sensor, will it still run?