Q: Van jerks, engine loses power, no acceleration - 2008 Hyundai Entourage

asked by on September 12, 2016

My van has 82,000 miles on it. Several days ago, it started jerking slightly and then I couldn't increase the speed at all. After I restarted it, it worked fine but the dash was showing the check engine light illuminated. Yesterday, this issue happened again. I went to get the gas tank filled. The van again started jerking several times. Then the RPMs dropped and it couldn't accelerate. After this happened, I tried restarting it. It would start and the engine is heard running, but there was no power whatsoever. Today, I managed to get it running but I'm in fear the issue would happened again. I still have the check engine light on. What could be causing this?

Hey there. A good start would be to have the car scanned to see what code has set in the computer and turn the Check Engine Light on. Your problem could be many things, from a problem with the drive-by-wire throttle system to faulty spark plugs or ignition coils.

Is the Check Engine Light flashing or is it just on? If the light is flashing it means there is a misfire in the engine that could damage the catalytic converters in the exhaust. These converters are very expensive so I would not recommend driving the vehicle if it is flashing.

If you need help having this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office with their test equipment and diagnose the jerking and loss of power to let you know what is causing your car to not run correctly and make the neccesary repairs.