I would like to ask about key fobs

I would like to ask about key fobs Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the Mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know? Its an Audi Q5 2016 keyless key f...

I would like to ask about key fobs Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the Mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know? Its an Audi Q5 2016 keyless key fob and I we think someone has stolen one of our keys. Is it possible to reprogram our key so that if they try to use the stolen key it won’t work anymore?

Automotive Expert
Hello, my name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* I will be helping you with your question today. I've been working on Audis for over 30 years now, so I should be able to help you through this. Please understand that some of my suggestions may require special diagnostic tools and equipment that many home mechanics may not have, but are often required. So, the direct answer is that you personally would not be able to do this operation. An Audi dealer should be able to reprogram the instrument cluster, and engine control module to a different "frequency" in order to render the missing key inoperable. I will say that it's likely that you will have to also purchase a replacement key, since this operation will also render your existing key inoperable as well. Unfortunately, a bit of a pricey proposition, but peace of mind is likely worth it.

Thank you. That is depressing but informative! I will get in touch with our local Audi dealer.
Automotive Expert
Ok, sorry for the news, but thank you for not shooting the messenger.