Q: My car crank but won't start

Hello, my Elantra was working fine. No signs of failure until one morning I turned it on and after a few seconds it turned off and since then it cranks but won't start. This is all I have tried but the problem still persists. I've checked all the fuses and relays (all good). The battery was old and I replaced it with a brand new one. Changed the fuel pump. Checked after change and it is working and pushing fuel to the engine. Changed spark plugs and cables, also checked the coils and there is spark on them. Checked the injectors pulse and it's fine.

From all that, my conclusion is that I have spark and I have fuel getting into the engine. I don't see any sign of lacking air, but I don't know how else to check. Tried using a code reader but the car won't turn on so it's not giving me any reading. I will appreciate any help or advice anybody can give me. Thanks.

Hi, thanks for writing in. If you hook up a scanner, it should give you codes. You can just have the key on the engine off. If you are not getting any output of codes, then you may have a computer problem. You mentioned you have spark and fuel, so the only thing that is left to check is the compression. If the timing belt jumped timing, you will lose compression. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.