Q: Pickup coil shield missing on new distributor.

I bought a new distributor that came complete and ready to install. However, it does not have a copper shield around the pickup coil. Is it necessary? To transfer the old one would require disassembly of the new distributor. Thank you in advance.

A: There is more than one manufacturer of dist...

There is more than one manufacturer of distributors or its internal components and will operate the same way but have some small different changes that do not affect the performance of the part. You should not have any problems without the plastic shield over the internal pickup coil.