Q: Starting problems with my car.

My car won't start.

A: It can be a very scary experience to not ha...

It can be a very scary experience to not have your car start! However without more information, it can be very difficult to narrow down the problem to one issue. Let us start with some of the more common reasons I have seen in regards to a Ford Focus not starting.

My first idea would be to suspect a dead battery. Over time car batteries age and eventually lose their ability to hold a charge. A battery that is bad will not have the amperage needed to make the starter turn the engine, therefore not allowing your Focus to start.

If we can confirm a good battery, our next step is to consider the car’s starter. A question to ask is, if you hear the starter motor turning the engine over when attempting to start the car? If you do hear it, does it sound weak or does it click? Starters eventually fail for they have parts that wear over time and exposing it to high amperage (through normal wear of starting your car) can weaken internal connections and prevent the starter from doing its job.

Now, let us say the battery and starter are both fine. We would then need to check the computer on your Ford Focus for any potential stored Codes with a mechanic’s scanner tool. This information can point a certified technician in the right direction for proper no start diagnosis. Finally, if there are no codes, the next step would be to check for fuel at the injectors (and fuel pressure) as well as spark at the spark plugs.

As you can see, there are many reasons leading to why your Focus will not start. It is highly recommended that you have a trained professional inspect your Ford Focus’ starting system as they will have the knowledge and tools needed to determine why your car will not start.