Q: Rattling while driving on rough or bumpy roads

While I'm driving over bumpy or rough roads, my car starts making rattling sounds that are similar to a sound that hard plastic makes. The sounds are coming from the area of the rear wheel at the driver's side. At the dealership, they had both rear shock absorbers replaced. That helped briefly, but soon I had to go to the dealership again. This time they didn't know what to do. The sound would subside for a while during hard acceleration. Then the ABS would come on. The sound would become noticeable again. Also, it can be heard when I drive on the rough surfaces and lightly apply the brake pedal, or the parking brake. What could be making this rattling noise?

A: Hello. It sounds like you may have a bearin...

Hello. It sounds like you may have a bearing that is failing, or there is a loose brake pad. It is common for the brake hold down clips to become worn and then this noise occurs. These need to be checked. I have also seen spare tires cause this noise from the trunk, as well as the crash absorber behind the rear bumper to become loose and cause this. If you want to have it inspected, consider YourMechnaic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose what's causing the noise.