Q: Q: Brakes have gone out

My brakes have gone out. The brake pedal goes all the way to the floor with no resistance when I press it.

Hi there. The first thing that needs to be determined is if there is a failure of a line or brake component, such as, a brake hose, caliper, or wheel cylinder. The brake fluid level needs to be checked to determine if any fluid has been lost. If the fluid is empty then an inspection of the brake system needs to be conducted to locate the source of the leak. The leak will need to be repaired and the brake system will need to be topped off and bled to restore the brakes.

If no fluid appears to be missing and there are no leaks found upon inspecting the brake system, it possible that the brake master cylinder has developed an internal leak. This will lead to no fluid pressure to the calipers and/or wheel cylinders. The master cylinder would also need to be replaced in this instance and the system topped off and bled to restore brake operation. My advice is to have a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, thoroughly inspect the brake system and recommend the appropriate course of action to safely restore your brakes.

3. Q: Brakes have gone out