Q: My 5 speed dodge ram truck won't go in reverse all other other gears work fine. What might be the issue?

asked by on August 03, 2017

My 5 speed Dodge Ram 1500 truck does not go into reverse. However all other gears work fine what could be the issue? Its either the 5.2 or 5.8 v8 motor I don't remember right off hand.

Grinding sound from transmission Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

This may suggest the transmission synchros may be wearing out. Your transmission has small gear synchronizer rings that help to move the transmission in and out of the various gears. When these begin to wear out, you may notice it hard to shift in and out of gears as you describe. You may also occasionally hear a bit of a grinding sound when trying to shift from gear to gear. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr