Q: Transmission issue on a 2005 Porsche Boxster

I have a 2005 Porsche Boxster with 110,000 miles and an automatic transmission. The RPM sometimes jumps a 1000 before it shifts to the next gear. Is my transmission starting to go out or is this normal?

A: It's not normal. But then again, it is ...

It's not normal. But then again, it is sort of "normal" for a Porsche Boxster with 110,000 miles. They generally don't last that long before their transmissions go out. Every customer of mine that had one with the automatic transmission said it went out long before 110,000 miles. Those things cost so much money to rebuild. You might think about just selling it because if you want to rebuild that transmission, then you are going to be looking at 5-8,000 dollars to do a good job. The car might not be worth the work being that it is 11 years old.