Can a bad transmission seize up an engine since I never h...

Q: Can a bad transmission seize up an engine since I never heard of a transmission being able to do this was just wondering

asked by on July 11, 2017

Can a transmission cause an engine to seize up? Just a question I was curious bout since I never heard of it happening. Hasn't actually happened to me neither. Thanks

Engine "seizures" are only caused by lack of engine oil, cooling system overheating, and internal mechanical breakage (e.g., timing chain/belt on interference engines). If the transmission fails, in any respect or due to any cause, there are no adverse consequences for the engine. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you. Also, please take a look at YourMechanic’s full slate of services at the Services Page as you may see services of interest.