Q: Whining sound when accelerating half the time.

I have been experiencing a whining sound when accelerating half the time now while driving my jeep. A friend of mine said it could be an overdrive whine I drive with overdrive on most of the time the manual said it was recommended. I would like to figure out what the issue is and your thoughts on it. Also i don't think there has ever been a transmission service on it I bought it with 30k miles on almost two years ago.

A: Hi there: Although it's possible that ...

Hi there:

Although it's possible that the whining noise might be caused by the overdrive, it's also possible that this noise is caused by bad or failing wheel bearings. As the wheel bearings begin to age, they will lose lubricity and begin to make a whining or howling sound as the vehicle accelerates. To determine the exact source of this noise, you should have a mobile mechanic complete a vehicle is making a noise inspection first; so they can pinpoint where it's coming from and recommend the correct repairs.