Q: Motor failed, is it just a lemon?

The engine in my 2006 Ford Explorer failed catastrophically the other day when I was driving home from work. It started knocking, then immediately started smoking. The engine only had 66,000 miles on it, so I am really disappointed in the quality of craftsmanship from Ford. Not sure what I am going to do now. Is it even worth replacing the engine in a vehicle this unreliable already?

A: The engines in the Ford Explorer are either...

The engines in the Ford Explorer are either the 4.0L or the 4.6L. They have both had their share of problems and failures. First, I would have the engine checked and get an estimate of the cost to repair or replace it. Replacement with a used or a remanufactured engine is an option. You can then weigh whether it would be cost effective. I’d say it would be about the same cost to replace this engine vs buy another used Ford Explorer, but you would have a new engine and the used truck would not.