Q: What is the cost to cut a new ignition key? I live in Lincoln, NE if that matters.

asked by on October 18, 2016

Just bought the '03 Trailblazer and it only came with a single factory key not even the keyless entry fob came with it. I can not find the key anywhere so I will need to have one made. Don't really want to put much $ in it so its all bad that I lost the key. Do I HAVE to go to the dealer or can I find a regular locksmith to do it?

I would suggest calling a locksmith and explain the problem that you have to see if they have the capability to help you out. Unfortunately, I do not think they can but it will not hurt to give them a call. Do not fall for the "I will need to do a service call to see if I can help you", since they should know if they can or cannot before coming to you. You most likely will need to have the vehicle towed to a dealer to have the ignition replaced unless the dealer can make a key from your vehicle identification number.