Q: Shifting issues. 2002 Honda CR-V

Hi, my CRV has problems shifting from P to D and D to R (or R to D) and D to P. It's not a fuse. I have been told the issue would cost about $700. They believe it is a select lever bracket set issue, PN 54200-S9A-A83. They aren't completely sure this is the issue and would need to remove the dash to investigate. What's your opinion? I also have to replace the cabin control unit (PN 38200-S9A-A11) as my power locks, brake light, seat belt indicator light, and dome light don't function correctly. Is it possible all issues are related to the faulty control unit? I know Honda had a recall a number of year ago about corrosion on the inner workings of the shift lever (my car was fixed) - is this again the problem? Has Honda had repeated issues of this nature? Any other suggestions on what is causing the shifting problems? thanks.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2002 Honda CR-V. When we are talking about shifting into and out of gear, we need to have a clear idea of the issue. Is it hard to get out of park? Or is it hard to physically move the shifter in any position? Shifting out of park requires a solenoid to be powered to release a lock. If the shifter is out of park it is hard to move, then is most likely the shift cable that connects the shifter to the transmission.

If it is a bracket issue, the removal of the dash could be necessary. With repairs such as these, it takes direct inspection to come up with a plan and the complete removal of the dash could indeed be necessary. This repair could indeed cost ~$700.

The control unit I believe you are speaking of would be the BCM (body control module). The BCM plays a part in all of these components. If once I looked at the car I suspected the BCM was the problem, I would perform some extensive electrical testing to be sure. A $700 repair is on par for such a repair and it will require the disassembly of at least part of the dash to remove it. If you would like to have another technician take a look at this, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the shifting issue and help you proceed with any repairs that may be necessary.