Q: Shifting issues. 2002 Honda CR-V

asked by on August 26, 2016

Hi, my CRV has problems shifting from P to D and D to R (or R to D) and D to P. It's not a fuse. I have been told the issue would cost about $700. They believe it is a select lever bracket set issue, PN 54200-S9A-A83. They aren't completely sure this is the issue and would need to remove the dash to investigate. What's your opinion? I also have to replace the cabin control unit (PN 38200-S9A-A11) as my power locks, brake light, seat belt indicator light, and dome light don't function correctly. Is it possible all issues are related to the faulty control unit? I know Honda had a recall a number of year ago about corrosion on the inner workings of the shift lever (my car was fixed) - is this again the problem? Has Honda had repeated issues of this nature? Any other suggestions on what is causing the shifting problems? thanks.

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2002 Honda CR-V. When we are talking about shifting into and out of gear, we need to have a clear idea of the issue. Is it hard to get out of park? Or is it hard to physically move the shifter in any position? Shifting out of park requires a solenoid to be powered to release a lock. If the shifter is out of park it is hard to move, then is most likely the shift cable that connects the shifter to the transmission.

If it is a bracket issue, the removal of the dash could be necessary. With repairs such as these, it takes direct inspection to come up with a plan and the complete removal of the dash could indeed be necessary. This repair could indeed cost ~$700.

The control unit I believe you are speaking of would be the BCM (body control module). The BCM plays a part in all of these components. If once I looked at the car I suspected the BCM was the problem, I would perform some extensive electrical testing to be sure. A $700 repair is on par for such a repair and it will require the disassembly of at least part of the dash to remove it. If you would like to have another technician take a look at this, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the shifting issue and help you proceed with any repairs that may be necessary.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr