Q: Steering wheel shakes, light came on power steering assist failure 2010 Ford Escape

steering wheel shakes lightly while idling and driving. no warning lights. power steering is fine i have no problems steering just the shaking. Warning light came on one time stating power steering assist failure. Have not seen it again. There was a recall for my year escape for the failure but not my VIN#. Write-up said more vehicles could be involved later on. Do you think the shaking is related to this and if so, how do i get Ford to cover this under a recall as this is a dangerous, expensive defective parts issue? side note: i did have spike tires put on for winter driving - cant remember when shaking started though (related?) 2010 Ford Escape, approx 108000mi Thank you

Hi there - this behavior, sometimes called "phantom steering shake" is often due to a steering torque sensor in the steering column. This device sense how much effort is being put into the steering wheel to make a turn. This determines how much "power assist" the electronic steering adds to your own effort to turn the steering wheel. If you are getting the "shake" while idling and still, this can be the beginnings of failure of this sensor. I would first go back to Ford to discuss the Recall (#14V284000), because this appears to be precisely the problem you are having. Escalate to Ford Customer Service. If this is unsuccessful, I recommend a steering wheel shakes inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, confirm this diagnosis, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Steering wheel shakes, light came on power steering assist failure 2010 Ford Escape