Q: Car won't shut off when I turn key off. I have to bang the steering wheel hard for it to turn off.

asked by on December 30, 2016

Car won't shut off when I turn key. I have to bang the steering wheel hard for it turn off. Then I disconnect the battery because,the lights,stay on inside.

Hello, thank you for writing in. When the vehicle fails to shut off after turning the key in the ignition, the ignition or the alternator are not "turning off". Although it is a bit more technical than that, these are the two main components that can cause the engine to continue to run. Luckily, you have possibly eliminated part of the guess work. By getting it to turn off by banging the steering wheel, you likely have disengaged the connection that the ignition switch was supposed to. You may do some further testing on both the alternator and the ignition switch, or you can attempt to replace the ignition switch if you are fairly confident it is the issue. For more diagnostic help contact our service department to schedule an appointment.