Q: Rust on the hood and doors

I find it odd that on my 2010 Ford Mustang with only 45,000 miles on the clock has a problem with corrosion. This isn’t very widespread, it is almost ALL on the hood. I have some spots near the fenders and doors, but the hood is about the rust straight through soon. I cannot believe this, this has to be a defect. Should I just get an aftermarket hood? I don’t trust whatever Ford is using!

Your hood condition is no coincidence, there is a well documented reason why the corrosion/bubbling is more concentrated to your hood. Ford knew about this happening back in 2000 when they started using Aluminum hoods to lower vehicle weight. When a significant amount of complaints were made, their own laboratory performed tests and concluded that there was a problem where corrosion was being caused by iron particles working their way into the body parts prior to them being painted at the factory.

Ford has acknowledged the existence of this issue and provided a repair process to correct it in Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 04-25-1 that has been superseded by TSB 06-25-15. The hood needs to be completely sand blasted then repainted as per TSB instructions. This can only be performed by a professional auto body shop that specializes in Aluminum body parts. You can also replace the hood, but Ford will only cover this if the vehicle is still under 3 years/36,000 miles original manufacturer warranty. However, there is a potential third option, pending the outcome of a Class action lawsuit, Mickens v. Ford in N.J., that may force Ford to perform this repair under a recall.

3. Rust on the hood and doors