Q: Car stalls when I fully brake after I drive

When my car is running on idle it would shake and rumble a lot. Then when I would go for a drive and fully brake it would stall but would turn back on perfectly fine. Also sometimes when I release the brake and press the gas pedal it would shake vigorously and barely drive and it would only drive normally when I release the gas pedal once and drive again. What could be the issue here?

A: Hey there. This is a common sign of a faili...

Hey there. This is a common sign of a failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine.

This valve is controlled by the vehicle's computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature, and electrical system load or voltage.

When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. This is all done by the idle air control valve. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 750-800 RPM (for most cars), this may indicate a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. In cases where this valve is dirty or failing, your vehicle will stall instead of slowing to an idle after the release of the throttle.

If you are looking to have the stalling problem diagnosed, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the car and replace the idle control valve if necessary.