Q: When I turn on the vehicle, my parking lights flash repeatedly. When I turn the headlight switch on, they stop flashing.

When I turn on the vehicle, my parking lights flash repeatedly. When I turn the headlight switch on, they stop flashing. The odometer and gear indicator also flashes on and off regardless of which mode I have the headlights in. The turn signals do not work either. The oil pressure gauge does not read any pressure but all other gauges do work. The transmission will not shift out of first gear but does go into reverse and drive flawlessly. Do you have any ideas as to what this might be?

Hello there, you have several different issues going on with your 2003 Dodge Durango. The most likely cause for the multiple and erratic electrical issues is a shorted wiring harness, these will effect multiple systems and cause this type of issues. For the vehicle not shifting out of first gear, common faults are shift solenoids, low transmission fluid, or wiring harness faults.

If you’d like to get this fixed, a qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your electric issues and make any repairs required.

• When I turn on the vehicle, my parking lights flash repeatedly. When I turn the headlight switch on, they stop flashing.