Q: Coolant temperature too high - 2011 Audi A7 Quatro

The warning light came on my dashboard yesterday that my coolant temperature was too high. So I let the car run motionless. It has 25,500 miles on it. I checked the coolant level and it’s normal. I started up the car this morning and let it idle for 15 minutes and everything was good to go. The temperature was 90 degrees. After driving for 5 minutes the temperature went up and reached the maximum reading. The warning lights came on, and I pulled my car over to cool it off. Do you have any advice? My warranty period just expired. What should I do?

It sounds like the engine thermostat, a device that reduces coolant flow until the engine has reached it’s operating temperature, is not opening. This prevents hot coolant from getting to the the radiator where it is cooled. If the dealer is unresponsive, I would have a professional mechanic, like a certified technician from YourMechanic, check your vehicle for failing cooling system components.

3. Coolant temperature too high - 2011 Audi A7 Quatro