Q: Replacing starter on 92 Toyota that would occasionally not work until tapping on it. Removed all 3 mounting bolts, both electrical

Starter won't come out even after removing all 3 mounting bolts, both electrical connectors and one 12mm nut on bracket above. Hit with hammer, pried on it, even re-connecting electrical and started up and drove vehicle. What gives?

The mounting configuration depends on whether you whether you have 2WD or 4WD. If you have 2WD, there is a bolt holding the starter stay to the upper stiffener plate that must be removed. Then remove the starter by removing a nut and three bolts. If equipped with 4WD, you will have to remove one nut, four bolts, and the center bracket. In your circumstance, there is probably still one fastener in place, otherwise the starter would fall out easily. If you desire, a certified mechanic can replace the starter on a mobile basis. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Replacing starter on 92 Toyota that would occasionally not work until tapping on it. Removed all 3 mounting bolts, both electrical