Q: Our 1995 Isuzu Rodeo has black smoke from the tail pipe and it is chugging and we think it is the oxygen sensors. Could it be something else?

asked by on December 27, 2016

Our 1995 Isuzu Rodeo is chugging an black smoke comes out on exceleration. We just had a tune up and the guy said the black smoke would clear in a few days when the oil burned off, it got worse. Could it be the oxygen sensors or mybe the catalytic converter? I hope its the sensors, they are cheaper.

Hi there. There could be an issue with the fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, or the spark plugs. Check the spark plugs and see if they are wet with fuel. Black smoke is a sign of excessive burning fuel. Check the fuel injectors for any of the leaking or the fuel pressure regulator for the pressure on the fuel rail. The pressure on the fuel rail would need to be no more than 65 psi. If the pressure is more, then the fuel pressure regulator may be malfunctioning. If the spark plugs are wet with fuel, then either the plug is fouled out, the ignition coil is not working, or the fuel injector is leaking. If you need further assistance with excessive black smoke, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.