Q: My 2003 Honda CR-V won’t accelerate past 40 mph and it starts to kick at 40. The mileage has dropped the past few months too

My car will not accelerate past 40 mph and when it gets to 40 it kicks back and forth and then drops acceleration. I’ve noticed a decrease in my fuel economy as well. I’m going to change all my filters and check my fuel pump as well as change spark plugs. What would your thoughts be for it not accelerating past 40 and stuttering the car back and forth? The Honda emissions control light is on and the maintenance required light is on.

If the emissions or check engine light is on, there will be stored codes which might provide relevant clues as to the underlying fault. Among common possibilities for the loss of power you are are describing are throttle body faults (electronic throttle controls, mass airflow sensor, torn air intake hose), worn out spark plugs, faulty fuel pump or restricted fuel system, and large vacuum leaks (including EGR malfunctions, PCV system, leaking intake manifold, leaking EVAP purge valve). A scan tool would be used to look at real time conditions within the engine (particularly fuel trim, etc.) and identify the root cause. If you want these diagnostic tests performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a loss of power inspection/diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My 2003 Honda CR-V won’t accelerate past 40 mph and it starts to kick at 40. The mileage has dropped the past few months too