Q: After changing the alternator, my car won't start - 2005 Ford Focus

I changed the alternator yesterday and after it was installed (finally) the car wouldn't start. Everything in the car works but the odometer won't come up and reads only dashes. The car won't turn over or anything no clicking or noise. I double checked everything I've done and can't find anything, what could I have done wrong?

Hello. The battery should be checked first. If the battery is low enough, then this will occur. If the battery is fine, then the fuses for the charging system need to be checked. If one of the wires for the alternator shorted when the alternator was replaced, then this will occur.

If this occurred right after the alternator was replaced, then there is something that shorted when the alternator was replaced. Consider having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, determine why the car is not starting and suggest any needed repairs.