Q: My car is running HOT and my reduce engine light comes on every now and then. I have an 04 grand prix.

asked by on August 02, 2017

My fans are not working to cool off the engine. The car is running hot and due to that the radiator is no good. I took it to a mechanic I was told my electrical box needed to be replaced. My reduce engine light comes on every once in a while

Hello, thank you for writing in. Depending on what testing the mechanic did, he may very well be correct. The computer intakes all of the information from the various sensors and controls the fans. If the engine temperature sensors, fan motors, relays, and wiring all are okay, then the computer is the only component left. If you are not sure if the previous tech checked all of these components, that is your first step. The reduced power light is your vehicle going into a safety mode due to the high engine temperatures. This is important, and you should shut off the car if it gets over 230 degrees. For more help replacing the computer, or further testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.