Q: Misfire cylinder 1

asked by on December 21, 2016

I drove my car on Tuesday night and it worked fine on Wednesday morning the engine light started flashing and service stability track traction control and park assist came on at the same time. We hooked it up to a code reader and it said misfire in cylinder one, we change the spark plugs and it was not that I have had somebody tell me it is either the throttlebody or acceleration Position sensor. I was looking for advice to see what you would think before I spend hundreds of dollars on a diagnostics

Hi There, A misfire can be caused by many different things other than faulty spark plugs and can develop for a variety of reasons. Generally a misfire will fall into one or both of two categories: Fuel and/or spark. Spark related problems generally will result from things like ignition coils, crankshaft position sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires or ignition modules not working properly. When the misfire results from a fuel related issue, this is commonly related to a lean fuel condition (lack of sufficient fuel supply to the motor). Fuel related misfires can be caused by many different things such as low fuel pressure, faulty or dirty fuel injectors, a faulty O2 sensor, a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor, a faulty or dirty idle air control valve or a vacuum or intake leak. When the fuel supplied to the combustion chamber is insufficient, this results in an ignition (spark) that is igniting a less than balanced load of fuel and air. This results in a misfire or an explosion in the cylinder that is much less powerful than the other cylinders. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your misfiring problem.