Q: Loud clunking when shifting reverse. Is it the pressure switch?

My 2014 ford expedition el makes a loud clunk when shifting reverse. About 2 weeks ago I was driving it was over 3k RPM and didn't go down (shift) I pulled over shut off car ..turned it back on and the RPM issue didn't happen anyone . My son's say the clunk noise is because I pull to close to the parking block but even on the road (front wheels not parked against anything) it makes a loud clunk . Please advise as I know nothing about mechanics of a vehicle. I do change the oil as required at Ford with synthetic blend oil . Thank you Susan

Hello. It sounds like you either have a mount that is failing or you may have an issue with the valve body in the transmission. I have also seen the driveshaft make this noise where it enters the transmission. It can typically be removed and lubricated and then resintalled.

Most of the time, this is a valve body problem though. I usually check the computer for codes first. If none are present then I check the transmission fluid and the pressures to see if it is inside of the transmission.

If not, then I check the driveshaft and the engine mounts, as a bad mount can also cause this. If you are thinking of having this clunking noise inspected, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the clunking noise you are hearing.