Q: I made changes to the air filter on my car

The air filter on my car is held between two pieces of plastic (one goes to the engine, the other goes out to the front of the car). I removed the side that goes to the front of my car, and attached the air filter so that it is completely open (but filtered). I feel like doing this has given me better gas mileage. The car is louder, but I am wondering if the change I made could harm my car.

Hi there. As long as the air is still being properly filtered and the air filter is properly sealed, then you are fine. This can give you better air flow which increases the efficiency of the engine.