my car starts but boggles out and stalls if i give it to ...

Q: my car starts but boggles out and stalls if i give it to much gas. almost as if the engine is choking

asked by on July 16, 2017

i have a 2013 chevy cruze 1.8L LS. i have 63.000 miles on it. the original problem occured with the service stabili trak/ traction control came on, on the center along with the check engine light. from time to time it would, at an idle stall out. i pulled the obd test and it came up with a bad crankshaft position sensor and that was the only code that pulled up at auto zone. one day i was driving and the car started to ride rough and bog out and could barlely get it to 20mph or even reach 2000rpm. if i gave it to much throttle and it hit 2000rpm it was almost like it would choke it self and stall out. i replaced the the crank sensor, the exhaust camshaft solenoid VVT(after hooking up to the obd again it was stored in the history) and as well as new spark plugs and oil change. as of now after replacing everything there is no longer the check engine light or codes being thrown and it still bogs out when i give it gas and rev to around 2000 rpms and stalls out. it seems to idle fine

Hi there. In general, engine performance and the traction control issues you have described are not related. The crankshaft position sensor would cause misfiring or an inability to start; but in general, typically does not cause bogging or acceleration problems. In most cases, this type of symptom is due to fuel system restrictions, components that are dirty or clogged, like fuel injectors, mass air flow sensor or the throttle body. These issues typically will not register an OBD-II trouble code as it’s progressive and not an actual fault that a sensor would detect. It would be a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a car starts then dies inspection to isolate the source of these problems and recommend the right repairs.