Q: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Back up Camera is Dark, but guidelines are showing

asked by on April 10, 2017

Back up camera screen sometimes goes dark, although red / green/ yellow guidelines are visible and sensor is working.

The camera itself may be faulty. You can remove the camera to check the electrical connector first. Frequent use of the tailgate can sometimes jar connections loose I am unsure of the size wrench you will need, but a wrench, screwdriver and about 15 minutes is all it should take to remove it. Unplug the connector and check for corrosion and loose wiring. Plug it back in after checking the connector to see if it works. If not, then in all likelihood, the camera itself is faulty. A direct replacement from Nissan can cost upwards of $600. If that’s the case, a reputable stereo installer may be able to install one that is compatible with the stock system for much less.