Q: I felt and hear a thud when coming to a stop. I just finished replacing plugs & wires, Harmonic Balancer, fuel rail pressure senso

I recently changed the Harmonic Balancer, spark plugs and wires, temperature housing and sensor, fuel rail pressure sensor, radiator flush and fill, new belt, oil was changed 2500 miles ago. I took it for a test drive and it all seemed ok. I later took it to get washed, and afterwards on the way home 2-3 different times as I came to a complete stop I heard and felt a thud. Only on a stop, not during driving or take off.

Hi Ben. Of all the repairs you have listed, none of them really stand out as possible sources of the clunking noise when you stop. It is quite possible however, that a lower engine cover might have come loose and possibly dragging on the ground. Without knowing if the vehicle is displaying other symptoms, like overheating, engine pinging or rough idle, it’s hard to tell you where to look. Generally speaking though, this type of symptom is common with worn wheel bearings, loose brake calipers, ball joints or other suspension / steering components. If you can’t isolate the source of the noise in the next day or so, it would be a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an onsite inspection to help locate the source of your noise and recommend the right repairs.

3. I felt and hear a thud when coming to a stop. I just finished replacing plugs & wires, Harmonic Balancer, fuel rail pressure senso