Q: Coolant reservoir is a block of ice, is it possible to thaw it out and flush the system without damaging anything?

asked by on February 04, 2017

Its been snowing for a few days now, I have a 1993 Buick Regal 3.1L V6, I was having problems with my heat so its been parked. I bought it off a lady about a week ago, I don't think she was putting antifreeze in it because I went to check my coolant last night and liquid in the coolant reservoir was frozen solid. Is there anyway I can thaw the ice and flush the system without causing any damage to the radiator or engine block?

If you have a frozen overflow coolant bottle then the same coolant mix is in the engine and may also be frozen in the engine and radiator. You will need to move the vehicle into a building that is above freezing in order to let the system thaw completely before replacing the coolant with the proper mix of coolant so it does not freeze again.