Q: Hood sensor not working

The sensor for the hood on my car doesn't detect when the hood is closed. In addition, the front windshield wipers shut off when the car is stopped. They only turn on when the car is moving.

A: Hi. The sensor is most likely broken and ne...

Hi. The sensor is most likely broken and needs to be replaced. You can get rid of the warning light by unplugging the sensor until you get a replacement. The way the circuit works is when the hood is open, the circuit is connected which will turn the light on. When you close the hood, you open the circuit turning the light off on the dash. By unplugging the sensor you are opening the circuit which is the same as having the hood closed. Follow the wires from the latch sensor, there should be a connector near the headlights that you will unplug. There may be yellow connectors in that area, but do not unplug them as they are crash sensors.

The wipers not working correctly is actually most likely due to the hood sensor as well, if the car thinks the hood is open it will not let the wipers move. Try disconnecting the hood sensor and the wipers should start working normally. If the issue persists, a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, would be able to inspect for electrical problems to make sure power is getting to the wiper motor.