Q: Hesitation while accelerating while already moving, normal from a stop

Basically from the description above I'm just wanting to know what could be causing this delay in acceleration? I mostly notice if I'm slowing down like coming up on a yield sign then accelerating through. Hesitates then surges. More annoying than anything. And the car accelerates normal from a stop. Just purchased the car a week ago and still has a warranty so just wondering what I could be dealing with? Any words of wisdom are appreciated. Thanks

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a fuel supply problem in getting the proper amount of fuel to the fuel injectors. As you know, when you turn the key to on, the fuel pump is activated and the fuel system is primed with fuel at a specific pressure in order to supply the fuel injectors with enough fuel to start the motor. When this is less than what is needed in order for the motor to fire or in some cases higher than normal, you may notice an erratic fluctuation in engine RPMs, hard starting or a lack of power when accelerating as the engine may be starved for fuel if insufficient fuel pressure exists in the fuel system. This can happen when the pump itself is not working properly or when the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining the proper fuel pressure in the fuel system causing the engine to starve for fuel. This can also happen when there is insufficient connectivity to the fuel injectors which can cause an intermittent fuel spray pattern into the intake system resulting in a lean fuel condition or the motor otherwise starving for fuel. Lastly, I would also recommend checking the mass air flow sensor as this will also cause some hesitation at times when it is dirty or not working properly. A faulty oxygen sensor may also cause this type of behavior as well if not working properly or sending the incorrect signal to the computer. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your fuel system.

3. Hesitation while accelerating while already moving, normal from a stop