Q: Hello, vw Passat 2007 is burning 3qt of oil for every 1000 miles. Took it twice to the dealership they say they would have to cha

Hello, vw Passat 2007 is burning 3qt of oil for every 1000 miles. Took it twice to the dealership they say they would have to change the pistons or the turbo. The passat has 105k miles on it. Is it worth it? How much should something like that cost?

Big clouds of smoke come out of the exaust every so often.

Hi there. The symptoms you are describing are typically indicators of faulty piston rings or valve guides. If your Volkswagen Passat is also struggling to accelerate and has been losing fuel economy, the problem may include physical damage to pistons and the combustion chamber. It’s no secret that anytime you remove internal engine components, it’s going to be very expensive. My rule of thumb is that if the cost of repair is 50% or more of the overall value of the vehicle, then replacement is better than repair. If I were you, I’d get a repair estimate and then look up the Blue Book value of your vehicle so you can make an informed decision.

3. Hello, vw Passat 2007 is burning 3qt of oil for every 1000 miles. Took it twice to the dealership they say they would have to cha