Q: Whiny transmission, might break soon

While the performance hasn’t really been affected, the transmission in my 2008 Nissan Altima makes a whining noise whenever the car is in motion. It started out only happening at highway speeds but now is a constant occurrence. It started at around 100,000 miles and I am now at 150,000 miles with this car. Is this problem eventually going to make me replace the CVT?

A: The whining noise you are hearing may be ca...

The whining noise you are hearing may be caused by a fluid temperature issue. Nissan has released a Service Bulletin NTB13-079c that outlines the procedure to add a cooler to help lower CVT temperatures. While there is no way to tell the life of your transmission, adding this cooler will definitely help keeps things in check, and may extend the life of the transmission. The Service Bulletin does a good job of giving part numbers as well as the service procedure so that no details are missed.