Q: engine probs

If my car goes into a garage for a service but on the test drive after the service the car develops a fault which wasn't there when I took it in. Who is responsible?

As a mechanic that has worked on cars for over 35 years at both dealerships and independent shops I can tell you that most repairs done to a car will not cause another problem unless it was directly related to the repair done. An example of this is a car comes in for an oil change and then the antilock brake light comes on when you drive away- this would most likely not be related to the service and would not need to be checked for free by the oil change mechanic. Each problem would need to be evaluated to see if it was related.