Q: What do the different ignition switch positions do?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What do the different ignition switch positions do?

Your car has several different ignition positions. They each offer slightly different functionality. Understanding what each does is important for being able to use your vehicle correctly. Here’s what you should know:

• Off: In this position, the engine is off, and so are your electronic accessories (unless the delay has not expired yet). You can still turn on lights (headlights, interior lights, etc.).

• ACC: This is the accessory position. Turn the key to ACC if you want to listen to the radio, play a CD or use other accessories without cranking the engine. Be careful, though. They pull power straight from the battery.

• On: In this position, all of the electronics should come on. This is also the position that the key will return to after cranking the engine.

• Start: Turn the key to this position to crank the engine. Let go of the key when the engine is running and the key will return to the on position.

Tip

Don’t leave the key in the ignition with the engine off for very long. It can drain the battery.