Q: How do I check the engine coolant?

How do I check the engine coolant?

Coolant is just as vital for engine operation as oil. While it’s running, your engine creates a lot of heat. If left unchecked, that heat would eventually destroy the engine itself. Coolant is used to remove heat from the engine and vent it into the atmosphere (by air running over the fins of the radiator). If the coolant level drops in your car, you may notice the temperature gauge moving into the red zone (dangerous). Check your coolant regularly. Here’s how to do it:

1. Turn off the engine (with the car parked level).

2. Let the engine cool.

3. Open the hood.

4. Locate the coolant reservoir on the passenger side of the car.

5. Check that the coolant level is between the full hot and the cold fill marks (this works best if the engine is cold, not warm or hot).

Tip

If the coolant is low, you can top it off, but you may have a leak so consider having the system inspected.