Q: Check engine light is illuminated and the car is not starting

Car won't stay on will turn over but won't hold start battery is good starter is good fuel pump is good gives crank code and check engine light is on

Hey there, thanks for writing in. In the future, please include the code number. There are several codes that this system can set.

If you have a crank sensor code, this will cause your car to not start. The most likely cause is a bad crank sensor or a wiring problem. It is possible that the toothed wheel that is attached to the crank has come a part for some reason, but this is exceedingly rare. If you replace the crank sensor, be sure to look inside the crank sensor mounting hole with it out to confirm the toothed gear is still intact. You may want to turn the motor by hand to get a good look at it from all positions.

The Check Engine Light is on to let you know there is a code in the PCM (powertrain control module). Scan data should be looked at to confirm the accuracy of the code. With a professional level scanner, we can see if there is a crank sensor signal. Testing from this point requires some expensive tools and experience.

If you require further assistance with this, I recommend having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose you car’s starting issue firsthand for an accurate repair.

Good luck!

3. Check engine light is illuminated and the car is not starting