Q: Gear shifter not aligned correctly, stuck in gear 2001 Ford Ranger

The shifter was not ligning up with the gear I was initially in. Park was reverse , neutral was drive etc. today I went to put it In reverse and now it just wiggles up and down and is stuck in drive

A: Hello - whether for a manual or automatic t...

Hello - whether for a manual or automatic transmission, your Ranger uses cable linkage between the shifter and the transmission. Over time, both the attachment points, the cables themselves, and the pivot bushings in the linkage become worn - sometimes reducing the range-of-motion required to actually position the transmission shift lever in the desired gear. This results in the gear indicated/gear selected mismatch you have, and potentially the inabililty to start the vehicle because the neutral safety switch won’t line up in Neutral or Park. I would recommend having a thorough inspection of your shift linkage completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs