I have a 97 explorer it won't start and with the key out ...

I have a 97 explorer it won't start and with the key out of the ignition the CEL ABS and the airbag light is on Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink? Stays on thought it was ignition cylinder als...

I have a 97 explorer it won't start and with the key out of the ignition the CEL ABS and the airbag light is on Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink? Stays on thought it was ignition cylinder also looked at the ECM nothing seems to burnt out Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far? Yes used to be a Ford mechanic but I only replaced the ignition cylinder tried draining the residual Power from the ECM and reconnected the battery and still the same problem

Automotive Expert
Hello, my name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* to just answer! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. I’m really sorry that you’re having this issue and I’m going to help you through it, but please understand that I (respectfully) don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us to diagnose/repair your vehicle. Also, understand that I can't see, smell, hear or touch the vehicle either, so your patience/understanding is appreciated. I do not know anything about the fees or charge so please if you have any concerns, direct them to customer service. The site will prompt you for a phone call. **Ignore the pop-ups.** I will let you know if one is needed. Thank you. sounds like the GEM module is on its way out. access the module, remove the connectors and check for moisture or corrosion in the connectors on the module and in the connectors.

Im average for cars went to UTI. I checked the GEM nothin looks abnormal after taking it apart and cleaned the grounds also took a computer to it and only half of the sensers responded
Automotive Expert
ok, any fault codes?

No codesThat's the confusing part
Automotive Expert
does the check [engine](/topics-engine-ford/) light come on and prove out when you turn on the key?

It's a 97 explorer. 4.0 with OHV with 58000 miles
Automotive Expert
does the check engine light come on and prove out when you turn on the key?

No with the key out. The ABS airbag and CEL stays on.
Automotive Expert
ok but the check engine light never comes on with the key in the ignition and turned on? with all the other lights that come on and go out?

Customer attachment 8/22/2020 1:38:35 AM
Automotive Expert
whats that \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\*ght say?

Interior lights don't turn on but [headlights](/topics-headlight-ford/) do . \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\*te is a check gages light is
Automotive Expert
ok, you have major issues. that GEM is bad for one. have you gone through all of the fuses yet?

I figured the ECM was bad. Is there more to it
Automotive Expert
have you gone through all of the fuses yet?

For the most part
Automotive Expert
the GEM is definitely bad. the ECM has nothing to do with the abs,interior light or airbag does your scan tool read ABS, SRS and body faults? or just engine faults?

Alright where is the GEM located? It's not the one the engine compartment by the passenger side? But checkin the fuses
Automotive Expert
its behind the radio
Automotive Expert
location attached

Alright thanks also do I have to reprogram it or is a simple swap
Automotive Expert
plug n play and drive for 10 miles for relearn
Automotive Expert
If you need more help with this particular issue, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question until you are satisfied the problem is taken care of.

Well 5 star definitely
Automotive Expert
thank you