Q: Adding a lot of oil between changes, no signs of a leak

asked by on October 30, 2015

I drive a 2008 Honda CR-V with an automatic transmission. The vehicle has less than 60,000 miles on it. Despite that, I have to add multiple quarts of oil to the engine in between oil changes. I have not seen any leaks or drip marks on the driveway. Where is the oil going? Is this a big problem?

You have not provided specific amounts of oil you have added per 1000 miles you drove. To do a proper diagnosis of your oil consumption claim, you would have to do an oil consumption test. This test is done by your Honda dealer. They will first do a thorough inspection for any external engine oil leaks. If there are no leaks, the oil consumption test would start with a complete oil and filter change. All the fill and drain ports will be sealed after oil is topped off. Your current mileage is noted and you will be directed to drive approximately 1000 miles after which, your oil level will be checked again. The amount of oil used will help them determine if your vehicle has excessive oil consumption. If your car is experiencing excessive oil consumption, the dealer will determine a course of action but the manufacture may or may not have coverage for the repairs. If you are using excessive oil then the engine rings may have carbon deposits allowing excessive oil to get by them into the combustion chambers and going out the exhaust. You can contact YourMechanic to check your vehicles for any oil leaks and maintenance that may cause you to use excessive oil amounts before you commit to an oil consumption test.