Q: When I try to take my lug nuts off my aftermarket rims, i end up scraping the rims,what size lug do i need so i wont do this again

asked by on October 13, 2016

My rims are 17 inch rims (17x7"/5x114.3mm) and do i need a different tool instead? I also have my tires scraping the inside a tiny bit when i turn hard inward and dont know if i need a wheel spacer or something else?

There are many possible sizes of sockets depending on the rim design and types of lug nuts used. Most aftermarket rims will use the same size lug nuts as original but require a thin wall type socket. Take the vehicle to a custom wheel tire shop and have them check and supply the correct socket for your cars lugs. As far as the tires rubbing the inner fender you would need to have the vehicle checked to see if it needs special spacers or the tires are too wide for the vehicle. Anytime aftermarket wheels and tires are used that do not match the original sizes, you may need vehicle modifications.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr