Q: I replaced my camshaft and crankshaft sensor for my 2009 Saturn Outlook. I'm still seeing p0017 code. What could be the problem?

asked by on March 27, 2017

I have p0017, p0430, and p2099 codes. I replaced all of my cataylic converters. I replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensor too. I was left with p0017 code. Then the other two returned 3 weeks later. I still have all three codes. I had other codes prior but they're not longer their.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Diagnostic Trouble Code P0017 has many causes other than a failed position sensor. For example, the valve timing could be off if the timing chain has jumped, there could be oil flow problems to the phaser from incorrect oil viscosity or partly clogged oil passages, the oil control valve (OCV) could have a restriction in the OCV filter, there could be an exhaust timing gear problem with the phaser causing camshaft misalignment. With regard to Diagnostic Trouble Code P0299, potential trouble spots include the mass air flow sensor, the mass air flow sensor circuitry, the air inlet tubing connected to the intake manifold could have a vacuum leak allowing unmetered air to enter the engine, the oxygen sensor(s) or circuitry could be damaged. Basically, anything that causes a rich operating condition, such as a faulty fuel pressure regulator or manifold absolute pressure sensor, will set that code.

Diagnostic Trouble Code P0430 means that the ECU is detecting below threshold performance from the catalytic converter. The ECU monitors the catalytic converter closely and when a low performance threshold is detected the Check Engine Light will illuminate. Although it is possible the catalytic converter itself is faulty, there are many other possible causes of the low efficiency that must be ruled out first, including engine misfire, fuel injector leakage, engine mechanical damage, oxygen sensors that output out of range values, and exhaust leaks. In your circumstance, it is possible that P0430 is simply a consequence of the faults underlying the other two codes (i.e., resolve the other two and P0430 disappears).

You have too many codes, each with a multitude of possible underlying faults, to narrow the diagnostic for you on a DIY basis. I recommend you request a check engine light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get the underlying fault(s) identified and resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.