Q: It feels like my car is about to break down, like I am very carefully carrying the engine home so it doesn't fall out.

A month ago my air conditioner stopped working, not sure if it needs recharged or has something to do with whatever is going on now. The car seems to not want to accelerate. I feel as if I go faster than 40 it would fall apart. When I brake it feels like the car wants to jump forward. I feel like there is something in the back I can hear and feel as well it almost sounds like somethings rolling around in the back or it feels like I'm hauling something heavy the steering well also feels off. and I can hear the engine or something rattling in the cartons to have shakiness while driving and starting in.

A: Hi there. I would typically start by checki...

Hi there. I would typically start by checking to see if the check engine light is on and then I would scan the computer for codes. This can give some insight as to what is going on. If there are no codes then I’d monitor the signal from the sensors to make sure that they are all working fine. If those are also fine then the issue sounds like it may be a catalytic converter or a transmission problem. This vehicle has a history of transmission failures that could cause this. Also, if the catalytic converter fails it will cause the same symptoms. I usually test the converter for any signs of failure and do a back pressure test of the exhaust before getting into the transmission. If you’d like assistance in diagnosing this issue, a certified YourMechanic technician can inspect these issues with your engine hesitating and help diagnose your vehicle.

Your issues with the air conditioning unit are likely unrelated to the issues with your engine, and you will likely need your AC unit inspected in order to diagnose that issue.